Horizon Europe is the biggest EU Research and Innovation programme ever with nearly €95.5 billion of funding available over 7 years (2021-2027). It tackles climate change, helps to achieve the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals and boosts the EU’s competitiveness and growth.
The programme facilitates collaboration and strengthens the impact of research and innovation in developing, supporting and implementing EU policies while tackling global challenges. It supports creating and better dispersing of excellent knowledge and technologies.
Legal entities from the EU and associated countries (list here) can participate.
Horizon Europe has a structure in 3 pillars:
- Pilar I: Excellent Science
- Pillar II: Global Challenges and European Industrial Competitiveness
- Pillar III: Innovative Europe
Pillar II includes a cluster on culture, creativity, and inclusive society which aims to strengthen European democratic values, including rule of law and fundamental rights, safeguarding common cultural heritage, and promoting socio-economic transformations that contribute to inclusion and growth.
The Horizon Europe programme follows the previous Horizon 2020 (H2020) programme which ran from 2014 to 2020. Below is a selection of projects co-funded by H2020 related to international cultural relations.
- ILUCIDARE – Cultural heritage-led innovation and diplomacy (2018-2021) > https://ilucidare.eu/
- EU-LAC-MUSEUMS (2016-2021) > https://eulacmuseums.net/index.php
- INVENT – European Inventory of Societal values of culture as a basis for inclusive cultural policies in the globalizing world (2020-2023)
- GREASE – Radicalisation, Secularism and the Governance of Religion: Bringing together European and Asian Perspectives (2019-2022) > http://grease.eui.eu/
- STARTS initiative (2015-) > https://www.starts.eu/
- EL-CSID – European Leadership in Cultural, Science and Innovation Diplomacy (2016-2019) > https://www.el-csid.eu/
- EULAC Focus – Giving focus to the Cultural, Scientific and Social Dimension of EU – CELAC Relations (2016-2019) > http://eulac-focus.net/